If you're bored of fishcakes and fish fingers for fish Friday, we're with you. Oh we know there's few better delights than fish fingers on soft, fresh white bread with plenty of ketchup, but how about juicy fresh prawn cakes with a pinch of chili, served on Japanese steamed buns with lashings of sharp, creamy sriracha mayo?
Just as good, if not better!
Steamed buns are quite easy to make at home if you'd like to serve them with this recipe, a quick Google will give you plenty of reliable recipes, but you will of course need a steamer to make them. A cheap, standard bamboo steamer will do just fine.
Everything else is very easy to make, but we recommend you pick up some nice, super fresh, plump prawns from a reliable fishmonger. Forget the frozen stuff! The Japanese are seafood aficionados, and frozen fish just won't do.
You Will Need
- 325g Fresh Prawns (Skinned and prepared.)
- 1 Tsp Chili Paste
- 2 Tsp Mayonnaise
- 2 Finely Chopped Spring Onions
- 1 Tbsp Chopped Fresh Coriander
- 1/2 Cup Panko Breadcrumbs
- Squeeze of Fresh Lemon
- 3 Tbsp Japanese Mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp Sriracha
- Ensure your prawns are prepped - no shells, heads or tails, and the innards and nasty bits removed! If you're unsure, ask your fishmonger to prepare them for you.
- Place all the ingredients, aside from the Japanese mayo and sriracha, into a blender - blitz until the mix is combined and sticky, but the prawns are still in fine, visible pieces.
- Divide the mix into about 6 equal portions and use your hands to form into patties. They can be as thick or thin as you prefer, but account for extra cooking time on a lower heat if you make thick patties.
- Cover the prawn cakes with cling film and place in the fridge. This will help them stick together in the pan.
- Add oil to a pan and bring to a high heat. Fry the prawn cakes until golden on both sides. It should take 6-8 minutes.
- Leave to cool and allow the excess oil to drain onto a piece of kitchen roll.
- Mix together the Japanese mayonnaise and the sriracha to create a dipping sauce. Add a touch of fresh lemon juice if you like.
- Serve the patties hot.
Fish cakes also make excellent toppings for ramen noodles!