As part of our Chefs focus feature we bring you a tasty recipe for Gyoza with special fuketsuna-sauce!
This recipe comes from Liam Watton, Head Chef over at our friends House of the Rising Sun in Shrewsbury where Modern Australian cuisine combines Pacific Rim flavours with a European cooking tradition. A blend of Indonesian, South East Asian influences and Australia's strong ties with Japan also help determine it's taste and style.
What you'll learn in this recipe are the techniques used to make the perfect crispy gyoza with secret condiment "dashi" , and how to make very original fuketsuna sauce!
- Frozen Gyoza
- 100ml Soy Sauce
- 100ml of Rice Vinegar
- 100ml of Mirin
- 25g of very Finely Chopped Sushi Ginger
- 10g of Roasted White Sesame Seeds
- 10g of Fresh Chives (finely chopped)
- 30ml of Sesame Oil
- Heat a thick bottomed non stick frying pan with a lid and add a little oil.
- Place the frozen gyoza in the pan, ﬂat side down. fry for 2-3 minutes until the bottom is golden and crisp
- Add 100ml of dashi and cover the pan. Steam for 3 mins
Combine all the ingredients above.
Plate and sprinkle with sesame seeds and finely chopped chives. Serve with fuketsuna sauce!
AN ELEVATED CLASSIC
There you have it. The crispy Gyoza recipe elevated with some care and love by Liam and his team at HOTRS.
Buy Gyoza in our online store now
Remember to check out HOTRS next time you're in Shrewsbury to taste some amazing innovative food. Thanks to Liam and the team for providing the images and recipe for this article.