Hi Dashi Dominoes!
I hope you had fun with the last lot of Dashi knowledge I gave you. So I figured we should follow on from that one. So Niban dashi (number 2 Dashi) is basically using the left over kombu and katsuobushi from the Ichiban dashi in my previous masterclass. All you need to add to make Niban Dashi is an extra handful of katsuobushi (this is optional though as it is only for added flavour).
- Left over katsuoboshi from ichiban dashi
- Left over kombu from ichiban dashi
- 2L filtred water
- Handfull of extra uncooked katsuoboshi
- First things first, you need to place the left over kombu and katsuobushi in a large pot and add 2 litres of cold water. If you're using extra katsuobushi then now is the time to add it.
- Bring the the ingredients to simmer and cook for about 10-15 minutes which will result in the broth becoming slightly cloudy.
- Once the ingredients have simmered you need to strain them into a muslin cloth-lined sieve, then gently squeeze the cloth to extract any excess liquid from the solids.
And there you have it! It really is that easy, now use this or full-flavoured soups, stews, sauces or dressings. You can portion it out and freeze it for use later too!
Peace out dominoes.
By Miso Meg.
Ingredients for this dish are available from our food shop here: Dashi Stock