Bread - it's super stodgy. It doesn't really have the same light and flavourful taste as rice; so I know what you're thinking - is there a way to replace a burger bun with delicious rice instead? With BBQ season coming up, I'm happy to report the answer is yes!
Imagine all the delicious flavours of sushi encasing a katsu style burger patty. How can you go wrong?
You Will Need
- 2 Boneless Chicken Breasts
- 1/2 Red Chilli
- 1 Spring Onion
- 1 Tsp Soy Sauce
- 1 Tsp Rice Wine Vinegar
- 2 Cups Panko
- 2 Beaten Eggs
- Salt and Pepper
- 8 Cups Cooked Sushi Rice (sticky)
- 2 Tbsp Rice Wine Vinegar
- 1 Tsp Sugar
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 3 Tsp Sesame Seeds
- Firstly we're going to make the burger patties. Take a blender and place the cubed chicken breasts, chilli, soy sauce, 1 tsp rice wine vinegar and spring onion in the bowl. Blend together until a nice sticky consistency that can form into patties.
- To make a patty, first roll a ball in your hands and then flatten. Spray with oil if they are very sticky.
- Now take a plate of flour with salt and pepper, and a large bowl with the beaten egg mixture, and a plate of the panko breadcrumbs.
- Coat the patties in flour, then egg, then panko until they are covered completely.
- Heat the oven to 200C and cook the patties for about 30 mins until golden - make sure you check to see if the meat is cooked as the cooking time will be dependent on how thick you make the patties.
- Now take the sushi rice and mix it with the rice wine vinegar, sugar and salt.
- Portion the rice into 8 sticky balls then press down to make a bun shape. This creates 4 buns in total, one top, and one bottom slice.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds on top of the buns.
- When cooked, serve your katsu chicken on the buns, and you can embellish the burgers with tonkatsu sauce, lettuce, spring onions, avocado and Japanese pickles.