If you've been to Yo! Sushi lately, you probably noticed their delicious oiishi buns - they're soft, pillowy steamed buns which form a delightful duvet around your favourite meat, fish or veggies. Here's the only recipe you'll need to make those buns from scratch and a delicious pork katsu to fill them with.
You Will Need
For the Pork Katsu:
- 400g of Pork Cutlet
- 3 Tbsp Plain Flour
- 1 Beaten Egg
- 1 1/2 Cups Panko Breadcrumbs
- Pink of Salt and Pepper
- Vegetable Oil
For the Steamed Buns:
- 1 Packet of Dried Yeast
- 1 Cup Milk
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- 3 Cups Self-Raising Flour
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- First we will make the steamed buns. Whisk together the milk and oil in a microwavable jug, and warm in the microwave for about 30 seconds - 1 minute, until just lukewarm.
- Shake the yeast into the milk and oil mixture, then set aside for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile sift together the flour, sugar and salt until well combined.
- Now slowly pour the wet mix into the dry, stirring as you go. Do this slowly until a dough is formed.
- Turn out the dough onto a floured board, then knead until soft and smooth. Cut into portions depending on how big you want your buns to be, then squash them out into 2cm thick pancake shapes. Place them on an oiled tray and cover with cling film, then rest for 1-2 hours somewhere warm, until risen.
- Place them in the steamer but make sure they are not overlapping. Put the steamer over 1-2 inches of water in a wok, and cook for about 15 minutes. They will be firmer when cooked.
- Now we will prepare the pork katsu. Beat the pork until tenderized.
- Now place seasoned flour in a bowl, a beaten egg in another bowl, and the panko breadcrumbs in a final bowl.
- Take each cutlet and place in the flour, then the egg, then the breadcrumbs. For an extra crispy coating, dip in the egg and breadcrumbs a second time.
- Fry in a pan filled with 1-2 inches of oil until golden brown. Cut and check the pork is cooked before serving.
- Place the pork in the buns with a little tonkatsu sauce!
Let us know how they turned out!