When you mix Japanese flavour combinations with American and British foods, you soon get something extra delicious! This week, we're working with sweet potato, which is becoming ever more popular here! However, Japan already has a lot of experience with sweet potato, they often use it in recipes such as hot pot, or have them baked and served with tasty toppings. In Japan they also often use the purple skinned variety too.
We're pairing these seasoned sweet potato fries with a little garlic aioli dipping sauce, which is brought to life by the addition of citrusy ponzu!
You Will Need
2-3 Sweet Potatoes
3 Chopped Garlic Cloves
2 Tsp Sesame Oil
A Sprinkling of Sea Salt
For the Sauce
5 Tbsp Mayonnaise
1 Tsp Garlic Paste
2-3 Tsp Ponzu Sauce
- The first step is to peel the sweet potatoes. You can leave the skin on, but some people find it too coarse. Cut into long, even fry shapes.
- Place all the sweet potato fries in a large bowl and sprinkle very lightly with water. Place in the microwave for 5 minutes.
- Leave the microwaved fries to cool whilst you heat an oven to 200C. When they are cool, toss them in a mixture of the sesame oil, chopped garlic, chili powder and sea salt.
- Place on a lined baking tray and cook for about 30 mins until crisp.
- To make the dipping sauce, whisk together the mayonnaise, garlic paste and ponzu. Refreiderate until you are ready to serve.