Okonomiyaki are a Japanese savory pancake. In Japan you'll find plenty of okonomiyaki restauants, where there is a grill in the centre of the table and you construct and cook your own food. In these restaurants, you order your ingredients, mix them together in the quantities you like, then grill and eat until you can eat no more!
We don't have many okonomiyaki restaurants in the UK, so if you'd like to romance a loved one with a traditional Japanese food this valentines day, why not try this homemade recipe which just requires a basic frying pan!
You Will Need
- 1 Cup Self Raising Flour
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 6 Medium Eggs
- 100g Thinly Sliced Cabbage
- 100g Thinly Sliced Carrot
- 100g Thinly Sliced Onion
- Good dollop of Japanese Mayonnaise
- 5 Rashers of Bacon
- Tonkatsu Sauce for Serving
- Heat your oven to about 170c
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt, set aside and in a separate bowl whip up the eggs with a small splash of water.
- Add the eggs to the flour and mix together until just combined, then add the shredded veggies and mayo.
- Heat a frying pan and coat with a very small amount of vegetable oil.
- Fry the bacon until just crisp, then flip over to cook the other side, but now cover the bacon in the okonomiyaki mix.
- Fry for 2 mins to crisp up, then place the frying pan into the oven.
- bake for about 30mins until the okonomiyaki looks golden and crisp on the edges.
- Serve on a plate, bacon side up and dribble with tonkatsu sauce. For a more authentic dish, also sprinkle with bonito flakes and a little japanese mayo.